Subject: Pentium166 slow?
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: 15 Feb 1996 20:10:52 GMT-0400

Having read other postings with respect to my P166 being slower than the
P133 I have some more info for you guys.

The cache is 15ns static 256K. I'm upgrading next week to 512.
The 166 is a clocked up 133....therfore we're dealing with clockspeed
issues.

The m'board is running at 66Mhz and the CPU is jumpered at 2.5 times
that.

The system will actually run at 180MHz (3x 60Mhz) but is not stable. The
m'board is rated at 166Mhz.

The benchmarks under windows show a MEMORY access slowdown of about 25%
when running at 166. The memory consists of 2 16MB TI 60ns 72 pin DRAM
SIMMS.

Sound like caching to me.....notably when the turbo is disabled the
memory access bottoms out a lot lower than when running at 133.

What is the benefit of pipline caching....does it work with standard
DRAM SIMMS?

[email-masked]
From [email-masked]  Thu Feb 15 19:13:33 1996
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: 15 Feb 1996 20:12:32 GMT-0400
Subject: IDE CDROM- AMIGA
content-length: 158
Status: RO

A fellow subscriber E-mailed me about the ATAPI CDROm posting
recently...I have managed to lose his address....you still out ther guy?

[email-masked]
From [email-masked]  Thu Feb 15 19:34:25 1996
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 19:31:28 -0500 (EST)
From: Scott Burton <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: Was Re: Be Anyone?|WONDER
To: [email-masked]
content-length: 530
Status: RO

On Thu, 15 Feb 1996, Stephen Bowie wrote:

> >   Sidenote: Can anyone clarify the status of Wonder Computers in Canada?
> 
> As most will know, Wonder went into receivership earlier in the 
> month...details are on the net in usenet groups from Jason Compton, with 
> a note from Mark Habinski, Wonder's CEO.

The last "Amiga Report" had a very informative article on the demise. 
Look for it on an Aminet site near you.

Scott Burton - Lightwave Moderator - Command Line BBS
[email-masked]          (416) 533-8321